Arbre Croche Cultural Resources
Copyright © Arbre Croche Cultural Resources. All rights reserved.
Arbre Croche Cultural Resources takes its name from the area in northern Michigan of L'arbre Croche, meaning "crooked tree" in French. Located along the northwest coast of Michigan's lower peninsula by Lake Michigan and southwest of the Straits of Mackinac, it acquired the name probably during the 17th or 18th century. According to Andrew Blackbird, "The tradition says when the Ottawas first came to that part of the country a great pine tree stood very near the shore where Middle Village now is, whose top was very crooked, almost hook-like. Therefore the Ottawas called the place "Wau-gaw-naw-ke-zee" - meaning the crooked top of the tree. But by and by the whole coast from Little Traverse to Tehin-gaw-beng, now Cross Village [La Crosse], became denominated as Wau-gaw-naw-ke-zee." The Odawa moved to L'arbre Croche in 1740, leaving their village at Michilimackinac where they'd traded with and provisioned the French with whom they maintained contact. L'arbre Croche remains part of the traditional homeland and tribal headquarters of the Little Traverse Bay Band of Odawa Indians. Today it is known as Harbor Springs, Michigan.
(Source: History of the Ottawa and Chippewa Indians of Michigan; A Grammer of Their Language, and Personal and Family History of the Author, by Andrew J Blackbird. 1887. Ypsilanti, Michigan: The Ypsilanti Job Printing House. Page 10.)
John Bartholomew, and Adam And Charles Black. Western states, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa: with portions of Illinois & Indiana. [Edinburgh: A. & C. Black, 1873] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division, https://www.loc.gov/item/2011589605/. (Accessed December 02, 2016.)
Arbre Croche Cultural Resources' projects include monitoring the water main replacement on N. Michigan Avenue in Saginaw, Michigan which recorded 12 sites and 22 isolated finds, including historic sites of the early settlement period and pre-European contact Native American sites.
ACCR also subcontracted to the Center for Maritime and Underwater Resource Management for exploration in northern Lake Michigan at the location alleged to have been that of La Salle's Le Griffon. Research indicated that it was instead the remains of a pound net stake.